Andrew Weaver, MLIS
UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON, INFORMATION SCHOOL, Seattle, WA -- 2015
Masters of Library and Information Science
UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON, JACKSON SCHOOL OF INTERNATIONAL STUDIES, Seattle, WA -- 2007
BA in Japan Studies
WASHINGTON STATE UNIVERSITY, Digital Infrastructure and Preservation Librarian
Pullman, WA -- 10/2017-Present
MOVING IMAGE PRESERVATION OF PUGET SOUND, Consultant
Seattle, WA -- 06/2017-Present
AMERICAN ARCHIVE OF PUBLIC BROADCASTING, National Digital Stewardship Resident at City University of New York Television
New York, NY -- 07/2016-06/2017
- Conducted a full survey of Library's compliance with NDSA Levels of preservation and enacted recommendations
- Developed a MySQL based system for automated capture of PREMIS, preservation and fixity metadata
- Researched and implemented perceptual video hashing for automated cataloging
- Revised and wrote micro-service scripts that support core digital and A/V preservation activities
UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON LIBRARIES MEDIA CENTER, Digital and Archival Media Technician
Seattle, WA -- 09/2015-07/2016
- Worked on all stages of media preservation and archiving including: appraisal, description, reformatting, dissemination and digital and physical preservation
- Developed scripts and automated systems modeled on the OAIS structure that greatly improved efficiency, accuracy, file integrity and convenience during media digitization and ingest
- Trained and supervised staff and graduate/student employees in the execution of media preservation and circulation duties
- Provided instruction and reference in all contexts ranging from one-on-one to classroom settings
- Designed workflows for large scale digitization projects of analog materials
- Conducted collection surveys to analyze preservation needs as well as reformatting potential under section 108 of US Copyright law
UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON LIBRARIES MEDIA CENTER, Graduate Reference Specialist
Seattle, WA -- 08/2014-08/2015
UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON LIBRARIES SPECIAL COLLECTIONS, Assistant to Film Archives Specialist
Seattle, WA -- 12/2013-08/2015
Other Work Experience
ART JAPAN CO. LTD., Construction Management
Kagoshima, Japan -- 2011-2013
SATSUMA-SENDAI BOARD OF EDUCATION, English Teacher
Satsuma-Sendai, Japan -- 2007-2009
- FFmpeg, DACS, PREMIS, EAD, Git, Ruby, Bash, MySQL, XML, HTML, CSS
- High proficiency in Japanese. Spoken level: fluent. Reading/Writing: 3rd year college level
- Vallier J., Weaver A. (2018) Digital Scholarship and Media. DS’s AV Clubs: UW Media Arcade and MAD Lab. In The Culture of Digital Scholarship in Academic Libraries. Chicago, IL: ALA Editions. (In Press)
- Weaver A., Colloton E., McManus K., Chau S., Ramirez-Lopez L., Lott A., Graves T. (2017) Building a Digital Preservation Community in Public Broadcasting: A Case Study of the American Archive of Public Broadcasting’s National Digital Stewardship Residencies. IASA Journal,v47, pp 41-47.
- Widzinski L., Mandel, D., Weaver, A., Horbal, A. (2016) Media in the Classroom. Against the Grain,v28(5), pp 32-35.
- Lee, J. H., Perti, A., Weaver, A., & Windleharth, T. (2014). UW/SIMM Video Game Metadata Schema: Controlled Vocabulary for Genre. http://gamer.ischool.uw.edu/official_release/
- "Strategies and Outcomes for Public Digitization Events: A Case Study." AMIA Annual Conference 2018. Portland, OR. 12/01/2018.
- "vrecord: An Open Source Case Study." AMIA Annual Conference 2018. Portland, OR. 12/01/2018.
- "Beyond Pressing Play: Tools and Strategies for High Quality Reformatting of Field Recorded Materials." Northwest Archivists Annual Meeting 2018. Warm Springs, OR. 04/27/2018.
- "Collaborative Conversion: Open Tools and Workflows in AV Preservation." AMIA Annual Conference 2017. New Orleans, LA. 12/02/2017.
- "Automation and Similarity: An Introduction to Perceptual Hashing." AMIA Annual Conference 2017. New Orleans, LA. 12/02/2017.
- "Codec Encoding for Lossless Archiving and Realtime Transmission (FLAC Update)." IETF 99. Prague, Czech Republic. 07/21/2017.
- "Preservation Showdown: Audiovisual Edition." ALA Annual Conference 2017. Chicago, IL. 06/25/2017.
- "How Open Source Audiovisual Tools Help Archivists (And You Too!)." Open Source Bridge. Portland, OR. 06/21/2017.
- "Let's Do it Together! Open Tools and Workflows in A/V Preservation." Northwest Archivists Annual Meeting 2017. Boise, ID. 05/19/2017.
- "Building a Digital Preservation Community in Public Broadcasting: A Case Study of the American Archive of Public Broadcasting’s National Digital Stewardship Residencies." NDSR Symposium. Washington, DC. 04/27/2017.
- "Planning for Preservation in Public Media: An AAPB NDSR Update." AMIA Annual Conference 2016. Pittsburgh, PA. 11/12/2016.
- "Expanding Access Through Music: The Adrian Cowell Films and Research Collection." Poster. IASA Annual Conference 2016. Washington, DC. 09/27/2016.
- "Building a Digital Preservation Community in Public Broadcasting." IASA Annual Conference 2016. Washington, DC. 09/26/2016.
- "Keeping it Real: Providing Access to Physical Collections." AMIA Annual Conference 2015. Portland, OR. 11/21/2015.
- "Expanding Access Through Music: The Adrian Cowell Films and Research Collection." AMIA Annual Conference 2015. Portland, OR. 11/19/2015.
- "Odds and Sods: The Hidden Music of the Adrian Cowell Films and Research Collection." Fifty Years of Opium and Conflict in the Shan State of Burma: A Visual Retrospective. Seattle, WA. 5/30/2015.
- "Odds and Sods: The Hidden Music of the Adrian Cowell Films and Research Collection." Pacific Northwest Music Librarians Association. Eugene, OR. 5/5/2015.
- "Media Archives and Japan Studies Time Based Media." UW Libraries Japanologists' Colloquium. Seattle, WA. 2/2/2015.
Selected Guest Lectures
- "Pop-up Music Memory Event Discussion." DC Public Library Memory Lab Network Webinar. 08/28/2018
- "Demystifying FFmpeg and FFplay." UCLA Moving Image Archives Studies Bootcamp. 09/20/2017
- "Tools and Resources for Multimodal Teaching and Learning." University of Washington English CIC Program. 11/13/2015.
NEH Research and Development Grant, "DV Rescue," ($191,835). 2019-2021. Supporting Author
National Film Preservation Foundation Basic Preservation Grant, "Joseph F. Rock Ethnographic and Exploration Film Collection," ($10,495). 2016. Primary Author
Allen Signature Awards Grant, "Milo Ryan Phonoarchive Digitization Project," ($65,000). 2016-2017. Supporting Author
- AMIA Open Source Committee Governance Working Group, 11/2018 - Present.
- Dspace Leadership Group, 06/2018 - Present.
- Codec Encoding for LossLess Archiving and Realtime Transmission (CELLAR) Working Group, 2017 - Present.
XFR Collective NY, 2016 - 2017.
- Audiovisual Open Source Projects:
- Project Maintainer:
- Employee Engagement Working Group, Washington State University Libraries, 2018 - Present
- Access Services Committee, University of Washington Libraries, 2015-2016
Selected Additional Trainings Attended
05/09/2015 "Audiovisual Surgery." Bay Area Video Coalition. San Francisco, CA.
09/2015 - 10/2015 "Copyright for Educators and Librarians." Duke University/Coursera.
- Northwest Archivists
- Association for Recorded Sound Collections
- Association of Moving Image Archivists
- Seattle Area Archivists