Andrew Weaver, MLIS
UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON, INFORMATION SCHOOL, Seattle, WA -- 2015
Masters of Library and Information Science
UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON, JACKSON SCHOOL OF INTERNATIONAL STUDIES, Seattle, WA -- 2007
BA in Japan Studies
AMERICAN ARCHIVE OF PUBLIC BROADCASTING, National Digital Stewardship Resident at City University of New York Television
New York, NY -- 07/2016-Present
- Conducting a full survey of Library's compliance with NDSA Levels of preservation and enacting recommendations
- Developing a MySQL based system for automated capture of PREMIS, preservation and fixity metadata
- Researching and implementing perceptual video hashing for automated cataloging
- Revising and writing micro-service scripts that support core digital and A/V preservation activities
UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON LIBRARIES MEDIA CENTER, Digital and Archival Media Technician
Seattle, WA -- 09/2015-07/2016
- Worked on all stages of media preservation and archiving including: appraisal, description, reformatting, dissemination and digital and physical preservation
- Developed scripts and automated systems modeled on the OAIS structure that greatly improved efficiency, accuracy, file integrity and convenience during media digitization and ingest
- Trained and supervised staff and graduate/student employees in the execution of media preservation and circulation duties
- Provided instruction and reference in all contexts ranging from one-on-one to classroom settings.
- Designed workflows for large scale digitization projects of analog materials
- Conducted collection surveys to analyze preservation needs as well as reformatting potential under section 108 of US Copyright law
UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON LIBRARIES MEDIA CENTER, Graduate Reference Specialist
Seattle, WA -- 08/2014-08/2015
UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON LIBRARIES SPECIAL COLLECTIONS, Assistant to Film Archives Specialist
Seattle, WA -- 12/2013-08/2015
Other Work Experience
ART JAPAN CO. LTD., Construction Management
Kagoshima, Japan -- 2011-2013
SATSUMA-SENDAI BOARD OF EDUCATION, English Teacher
Satsuma-Sendai, Japan -- 2007-2009
- Bash, MySQL, XML, HTML, CSS, FFmpeg, Git, DACS, PREMIS, EAD
- High proficiency in Japanese. Spoken level: fluent. Reading/Writing: 3rd year college level.
- Weaver A., Colloton E., McManus K., Chau S., Ramirez-Lopez L., Lott A., Graves T. (2017) Building a Digital Preservation Community in Public Broadcasting: A Case Study of the American Archive of Public Broadcasting’s National Digital Stewardship Residencies. IASA Journal,v47, pp 41-47.
- Widzinski L., Mandel, D., Weaver, A., Horbal, A. (2016) Media in the Classroom. Against the Grain,v28(5), pp 32-35.
- Lee, J. H., Perti, A., Weaver, A., & Windleharth, T. (2014). UW/SIMM Video Game Metadata Schema: Controlled Vocabulary for Genre. http://gamer.ischool.uw.edu/official_release/
Selected Presentations and Lectures
- "Building a Digital Preservation Community in Public Broadcasting: A Case Study of the American Archive of Public Broadcasting’s National Digital Stewardship Residencies." NDSR Symposium. Washington, DC. 04/27/2017.
- "Demystifying FFmpeg and FFplay." AAPB NDSR Webinar Series. 01/26/2017
- "Planning for Preservation in Public Media: An AAPB NDSR Update." AMIA Annual Conference 2016. Pittsburgh, PA. 11/12/2016.
- "Expanding Access Through Music: The Adrian Cowell Films and Research Collection." Poster. IASA Annual Conference 2016. Washington, DC. 09/27/2016.
- "Building a Digital Preservation Community in Public Broadcasting." IASA Annual Conference 2016. Washington, DC. 09/26/2016.
- "Tools and Resources for Multimodal Teaching and Learning." University of Washington English CIC Program. 11/13/2015.
- "Keeping it Real: Providing Access to Physical Collections." AMIA Annual Conference 2015. Portland, OR. 11/21/2015.
- "Expanding Access Through Music: The Adrian Cowell Films and Research Collection." Poster. AMIA Annual Conference 2015. Portland, OR. 11/19/2015.
- "Odds and Sods: The Hidden Music of the Adrian Cowell Films and Research Collection." Fifty Years of Opium and Conflict in the Shan State of Burma: A Visual Retrospective. Seattle, WA. 5/30/2015.
- "Odds and Sods: The Hidden Music of the Adrian Cowell Films and Research Collection." Pacific Northwest Music Librarians Association. Eugene, OR. 5/5/2015
- "Media Archives and Japan Studies Time Based Media. UW Libraries Japanologists' Colloquium." Seattle, WA. 2/2/2015
Grant Writer and Project Manager. 2016 National Film Preservation Foundation Basic Preservation Grant to preserve the Joseph F. Rock Ethnographic and Exploration Film Collection ($10,495). Fully Funded.
- Open Source Projects:
- Creator/Maintainer: audiorecorder, pugetsoundandvision
- Contributor: Vrecord
- Access Services Committee, University of Washington Libraries 2015-2016
- University of Washington Information School Student Group 'iWorld' webmaster 2014-2015
- International Association of Sound and Audiovisual Archives
- Association of Moving Image Archivists
- Northwest Archivists
- Seattle Area Archivists